Monday, September 13, 2010

Grandma Pat

I don't know why, but lately my Grandma Pat has been on my mind a lot. She was my dad's mother for those of you who don't know. I'm not really sure what started it, but I find myself thinking about her and missing her a lot lately. It seems like I've been seeing a lot of things that remind me of her. Steel Magnolias was on last night for example, that was one of her favorite movies. I also find myself craving some of the things she used to make...home-made french fries, corn souffle, chocolate cake from scratch...I could go on and on! I have also been missing the piano recently, which was of course my major bond with her. She taught me everything I know about playing the piano. Delaney won't have much choice when it comes to lessons, she will have to take some--even if it's just a few from her Mommy!

She's been gone for nine years, which doesn't seem possible until I stop and think about everything that's happened in those nine years. I was 17 at the time and had just started dating Craig. It gives me some peace to know that she got a chance to meet Craig and know him a little before she passed. I distinctly remember a conversation I had with her after my Junior Prom when she told me that she thought Craig was a good guy--little did I know what she was seeing in my future . I got to wear her favorite sapphire ring on our wedding day, so she I know she was with us that day which was so special.

I know she would have absolutely loved Izzy! She was always a dog-lover, and she used to have Basset Hounds way back when so Izzy would have melted her heart. She also would have loved the Basset Hounds Benny & June that live down the street from us!

I find myself trying to imagine what she would have been like with Delaney. She never got to meet any of her 3 great-grandchildren, but I know she would have been absolutely smitten with all three of them! I find myself telling Delaney about her and the things we used to do. It makes me sad that she will never know her except through all of us! I miss her so much!

I never knew any of my great-grandparents, so Delaney is very blessed to know the three she has that absolutely love her! Like I've said many times, Delaney is one very loved little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed