Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Baby Class

Well, we've been to 2/3 of our baby classes. These classes are supposed to cover the basics (Essentials) of Childbirth and Baby Cares. So, Monday's class was all about the birthing process. We watched the actual birthing videos, saw epidural needles, and inspected some forceps. I thought the point of these classes were to put the parents-to-be at ease by telling them what's in store for them?!? Don't worry, I'm not completely freaking out or anything, but I think I'm more "worried" about the actual birth now than I was before the classes.

I have always thought of myself as someone who likes to be prepared and plan everything, but now that I have a general idea of what's going to happen I'm wondering if I was better off not knowing. I don't think it's the pain or needles or anything that's freaking me out so much. I figure if I can keep myself (or Craig can keep me) relatively calm, I can handle all of that. I think it's how long everything takes "on average" for a first-time mom. 12-24 hours seems like an eternity to me! 2 hours of pushing...seriously! Being overdue by a week-10 days...really! I like to think of myself as a patient person, but I'm pretty sure in this circumstance I will be far from patient. Believe me I know these are averages, and I actually know people that have been exceptions to these rules, but come on.

It probably doesn't help that the emotions and fatigue of the first trimester are back in full force here in the third trimester all of a sudden. I'm averaging about 2 naps a day now and have serious struggles getting out of bed in the mornings. The last couple days making it through the morning just to stay awake until lunch (when I try to squeeze in a nap) has been a really battle. So, then the nurse tells me the labor process takes 12-24 hours, and I think to myself, "I can't stay awake for 3 hours before I'm exhausted!) I sure hope adrenaline kicks in when I need it!

I probably sound crazy, and my reasonable side keeps telling me that women do this every day and everything turns out fine. Maybe I just needed to vent a little! I am looking forward to next week's class, it's all about taking care of newborns! That should be interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Crystal,
    I totally feel your pain! We are not expecting (yet) butI have been thinking about it alot lately. I am getting mixed opinions about whether or not I can even have an epidural(remember my car accident?) due to lack of space in my now-fused spine. I keep telling myself every day that plenty of women made it through natural childbirth without epidurals and everything turned out just fine, however I still worry about what would happen if there was an emergency, necessary c-section, etc. You are absolutely not crazy to have so much going through your mind. You will be fine, it will all work out. No matter what you go through, it will all be worth it! (that's what I keep telling myself!) Good luck with everything and keep posting pics! Love, Melissa (Tobin) Kimmerling

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed