Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Here we go again!

In the last 7 years, I have had 3 family members diagnosed with some form of leukemia. The first was my aunt, Janna. She was diagnosed when she had her baby girl, Kayla, back in 2004. She had a stem-cell transplant and has recovered quite well. She still has the daily battles, but she is cancer-free!

The second was my great aunt, Suzanne. It took them a long time to diagnose her and once they did, she didn't last too long. The leukemia had progressed very quickly, and the treatment was too much for her. She was in her 70s at the time, so her body just couldn't handle the treatment.

The latest came just this week for my great uncle, Jack. He has been diagnosed with Acute Leukemia. He is 83 years old. They are now analyzing his bone marrow to determine exactly what they are dealing with and the best course of treatment. He is scheduled to check into UNMC in Omaha on Friday for an extended stay. We are hoping that the treatment they prescribe will be something he can handle and hopefully give him some more time without suffering too much.

At 25, it's very sad for me to have this much first-hand experience with leukemia. They said that leukemia is not hereditary, but I'm beginning to wonder. My grandpa died of it when he was in his early 50s, and now both his siblings...Suzanne & Jack have had it. Three out of three siblings...a coincidence? I must say the pessimistic side of me is wondering when my time (and my immediate family's time) will come to face this battle. There go the irrational fears again! Time for a gut check!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your Great Uncle. I will keep him and your family in my prayers. Hopefully your time will never come and we can can't predict the future but just remember to live for today!! :o)

    "So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God"
    Isaiah 41:10

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed